NoH2O Forum Index

<  You got some projects?  ~  finishing 69 kombi restoration

vertecal
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I am just about to pick up my 1969 kombi and want to get straight into it!
I am weighing up whether or not it's worth buying a welder and doing the fairly small (so far) amount of welding myself, so the question is, any idea how much it would cost to have a battery tray and some patches in the lower inner front welded in?

I would be looking to spend around $600ish on a welder, so if it would cost more than that to get someone else to do it, then I'd probably go the DIY route.

Thanks.

Last edited by vertecal on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Humpty
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
The basic panels will set you back around 70 each for the battery tray and the lower rear guard sections for instance.... Then a decent MIG welder will be around 1200 minimum... 600 wont get you much.... Chances are there will be a need to do much more in the way of repairs once you get into it.... It's very easy to log up the hours doing these sorts of repairs... If your paying a shop to do it, it's could cost a bundle....

I'm all for someone doing it themselves.... I do all my own and it has saved me a bundle over the years, but I think you really need to look at the realistic costs involved.... Sometimes it might be a better option (cheaper and quicker) to have a pro do the welding and you do the rest.... By this I mean, you strip the area in question and cut out the rust.... The get your panel repairer to fit the panels in and get it straight.... Then you go back in and do the paint prep and flatting.

Maybe having a chat to Dave (Dave66 on here) or John (Johnno77 on here) from the Munster Garage, for rust repair advise...

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Started to strip my 69 down, have found a bit of rust under a few of the windows, lower front, roof and battery tray Sad

When removing some tasteful butterfly stickers, I discovered the paint comes off fairly easily using a razor blade scraper, has taken about 4 hours to pretty much strip the whole thing! Saves a few days sanding!

I have ordered all the repair panels, and have cut most of the rust out, so will start the welding in the next week or so...

Anyway, pics so far...

Few holes in the hatch window

Messy under the windscreen rubber

About half way through scraping the paint off

Previous owner patched the drivers side floor (badly) right over the top of the rust

Strange place for rust?

Few holes in the drivers side headlight bucket

Previous owner had screwed massive truck lights over the original holes!

Drivers side rear window, will cut more out of this I think

No rust in roof under the pop top (nice suprise!)

One of the good windows

More ugly windscreen

Passenger side floor has a small hole

Sliding door and passenger side rear window rust free
66brm
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Sep 2009 Posts: 1651 Location: Down the sou side now!!!
Good work, bus has heaps of potential Cool

MODNROD wrote:
My dad had kittens......
vertecal
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know how much a good condition pop top (complete) would be worth?
I may think of selling it as I'm keen to go with a Paris Beetles sunroof to fill the hole in the roof, but the wife wants to keep the pop top, thoughts?
Humpty
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
I'm not a huge fan of the pop tops.... Purely from an aesthetics point of view of course... Obviously very handy for camping... When I was looking for an early bus to purchase it was high on my criteria to only look for a 8 seater Micro....

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Humpty wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of the pop tops.... Purely from an aesthetics point of view of course... Obviously very handy for camping... When I was looking for an early bus to purchase it was high on my criteria to only look for a 8 seater Micro....

I'm with you mate, don't particularly like the look of them either and although we intend to do some camping in it, 99.9% of the time it will be my daily, plus, even after I lower it, I don't think it will fit in the garage with the pop top on (only clears the door by about 2mm with pop top off!) looks like the sunroof route then Very Happy anyone want to buy a pop top?
vertecal
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a good panel and paint shop/person around the Fremantle area?
Want to get the bus booked in to start in about 6 - 8 weeks.

Thanks.
Humpty
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
That dude next door to Stef's place in South Freo is good.... Not the bloke that started on Stef's (BUK) bus are molested Sam's one.... This guy I'm talking about is right into his resto work and does awesome stuff...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
Humpty wrote:
That dude next door to Stef's place in South Freo is good.... Not the bloke that started on Stef's (BUK) bus are molested Sam's one.... This guy I'm talking about is right into his resto work and does awesome stuff...

Sounds perfect, have you got any contact details for him?
Humpty
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
vertecal wrote:
Humpty wrote:

Best to contact Stef (BUK on here).... He'll set you right...

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Humpty wrote:
vertecal wrote:
Humpty wrote:

Best to contact Stef (BUK on here).... He'll set you right...

Will do, thanks mate...
vertecal
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Bit of an update...

Welded some new pieces into the rear hatch and also welded up the holes left over from a VW CAMPMOBILE badge that was riveted on. Pics when I get home.

Nearly finished cutting the lower front away - what a bitch! I agree with Joshroom that it is easier to separate the inner front panel into 2 pieces as the innermost piece seems to be about 3" short on each side!

Also, we are getting an extension done on the house, so the garage is going to be knocked down Crying or Very sad ... haven't got the start date yet, but the race is on to get all the welding finished up and find a panel & paint shop to do the paint, I asked before, but can anyone recommend a decent place SOR? (the guy that humpty suggested is a bit out of my price range!) not looking for show quality, but at the same time don't want a crappy job.

Thanks.

Josh
vertecal
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Bit of an update...bit slow, but only get 1 out of every 2 weekends to work on it - wife works from home evenings and every other Saturday, so I have our 2 year old son to amuse!

Rear hatch finished and rear side window channel all welded up, various holes along the drip rail closed up to - good trick is to use a length of 10mm copper pipe clamped behind the drip rail to make it easier to weld up bigger holes.
Welded up loads of holes in the dash where PO had fitted various accessories.

Started to cut out the rusty windscreen recess, doing one side at a time so I can use the other side as a reference as the whole lower channel needs replacing.

Still to do:
Patch at front of roof
Small hole in battery tray
Front lower inner and outer
Patch hole in side center panel where water inlet was
Weld up various holes in the cargo floor from where the camper interior was screwed in.
Finish windscreen channel.

Paint...put back together with all the nice new bits!

Pics to follow...

Still looking for recommendations for a panel & paint shop to do the painting (Pearl White or Savannah Beige?), would rather go somewhere recommended than just shop around (plus I'm very time poor!)
vertecal
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quick question to those in the know with regards to replacing the lower front panel... I've noticed that quite a few people overlap the new panel on top of the old, personally I intend to do a butt join (or even get my hands on a joggler to do a flush lap join) how would you guys do it?

Thanks.