NoH2O Forum Index

<  You got some projects?  ~  Tempo Matador

Dr Evil
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'm the Matador Man Joined: 07 Aug 2008 Posts: 785
Ok, it's about time I did a post on the Matador instead of throwing bit's in here and there.

About the Matador

They were produced by Tempowerks near Hamburg in Germany between 1949-1952. They ran a 25hp VW engine with a massive 5.8:1 compression ratio. The gearboxes were initially 4 speed + reverse VW ones but they died quickly due to the load so many were swapped for 4 speed + reverse ZF gearboxes. The stronger ZF quickly became an optional extra around 1950 then almost standard on the 52s.
They are front wheel drive and initially had cut down VW axles into the uni joints.
They are the only non VW commissioned vehicle that VW approved the use of the engine.
The engines were sold to Tempo without engine numbers and tempo stamped their own numbers onto them in a different spot than VW engines. Making them very popular to put in VW restorations as you can retrostamp matching engine numbers on them in the correct "VW" position.
They were very robust and had a carrying capacity of 1.65 tonne.
They weigh just over 1 tonne.
The chassis is basicly 2x 3inch water pipes that run the length of the vehicle.
They proved remarkably popular at a time when VW only produced the beetle.
They were especially popular in Australia.
Ironically they proved so popular that VW pulled the engine supply in May 52' as they had released the kombi and saw sales going Tempo's way instead of to them.
This reslulted in a complete model run of only 1362 vehicles.
As they were a coachworks there are about a dozen different models i have seen that were "standard" including an 11 seater woody bus.
The most common were the ute version as mine started it's life.

After VW pulled their engine Tempo started making them with Austin watercooled engines in 1956.
The factory was sold to India, where the very unattractive austin powered numbers were sold until 1972.

In a stroke of genius/foolishness a german used the front suspension and diveshafts mounted to a later model VW gearbox in the 63'-65' Jolus Minx racing car, i think it was F1 at the time. It had a 98hp engine in it (DKW i think) and had good success.

My experience with them is when my uncle new of the grey one in his friends shed. I was chasing a spilt screen kombi, and he offered me the grey one which had not been licenced in 28yrs.
Sadly his friend, a keen car restorer had passed away suddenly and the projects that were never started, like the matador were up for sale.
I flew to Melbourne to check it out and within 8 hrs had the original 52' motor running again. The brakes were a nother matter. All of the suspension parts are over enginered +++ massive bearings and universal joints.

My grey one has a VW box and the original engine, It's exhaust is a later model kombi one but it looks compleately original other than that.

The one below was very well restored, it sold last year for $110,000 US to a museum

A Tempo lift truck

A panel

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2840171447_80b46c9d1b.jpg?v=0[/img]
Humpty
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11340 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Fantastic stuff.... I can't wait to see this thing in the flesh and on the NoH2O stand at the DoVW sometime soon....

Come to think of it... Lets get a 'busy bee' going at your shack and get this baby rolling... It would be a hoot cruise it into a show as is!!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
That panel is so cool!!!!

Sounds like a plan Humty!
samba
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
nice beast, need some mother dropped spindles..

there is another matador around these parts, pretty rough..

also i went to see what i was told was one,(white gum valley) was`nt but similar, had some cool old shit like spoked steering wheel etc...the guy said i could take it in the end. did`nt..

panel is very cool

Humpty
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11340 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Was it possibly the Austin powered one?

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jun 2008 Posts: 252 Location: Stoneville Western Australia
Soo different, they are really cool, can't wait to see one in the flesh Smile

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
will find pics i sent to you years ago, still cant post pics here you can post for me s
Humpty
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
samba wrote:
... still cant post pics here you can post for me s

Why can't you post? Get off your backside and get photobucket going Kman!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
sent u pics of ugly betty
ryber
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Cheers for that dr evil - makes it a lot clearer about the Matador..
Dr Evil
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Humpty wrote:
It would be a hoot cruise it into a show as is!!!!

I'd probably avoid the pink shirt if possible.
I was thinking some 17" ESCRAs and a 36horse+ Judson

It's got a single leaf suspension up front and 2 pairs of coils down back. Lowering it would be quite easy.
Mid engined too, oh the potential Laughing

I'll be heading down on the weekend of the 8th if anyone's keen. I want to pull the gearbox and get the chassis ready for blasting. I could do with a hand. Anyone handy at panel and paint would be doubly appreciated as I'm lacking significantly in ability in the area. PM me if anyone's keen.

The "Donkey shagger" deserves a special mention. I don't know where it comes from, but very ugly.

samba
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote

samba
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
another local cool old commercial

ryber
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I sent this thread to a mate and he mentioned he remembers VW powered vehicles from the 70s that were used to pull around wheeled containers - so was similiar to the Matador but just a cab - a VW semi!! I have looked for piccies via google with no luck though..
Dr Evil
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote

That looks like a late model tempo, austin engined of course.

I'd be very keen on having a look. A lot of the parts were interchangeable given the sudden removal of the VW motor they kept a lot of things the same. The chassis looks strange, it may actually be their later and crazier lift truck.

Any chance of getting the guys no or address of you?