NoH2O Forum Index

<  You got some projects?  ~  Bertha - '68 Lowlight rebuild

BigBertha
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey!

Haven't been on the forum for a while apart from a bit of lurking.
So to cut a long story short.............
I have a 68 lowlight that has been in the family for 44 years, huge sentimental value attached. Nearly four years ago I had a work accident that left me a paraplegic and unable to finish the restoration. I have finally settled on a compensation deal and now have the resources to pay someone else to complete it.
I'm looking at full body and paint (no huge areas of rust, lots of little bits)
the electrics need a good looking at
interior done
brakes
the original 1600 motor is still running really well but wouldn't mind upgrading
shit...basically eberything needs a bit of attention
what I'm getting at is I need to know what sort of dollars I should be looking at.
I'm under no illusions that its going to be cheap.
I know its hard to tell without seeing the bus itself, I can load up some pics if it would help.

any feedback to my dumbass post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Last edited by BigBertha on Mon May 14, 2012 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
BigBertha
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote

I hope these pics work

Its gutted me that now there is so much I can't do to her
but I owe it to the old girl to give her another lifetime

any help will be very appreciated
ozzyash
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to state the obvious but I guess it all depends on the quality of job you are looking for.

example: NOS VW parts $1000's vs Recon/second hand/repro parts $100's

Personally i like the bus as it is ...full of character.
every dent, scratch and rust patch has a tale to tell!!

if you have 30K to spend work to that budget..... you should have a sweet ride at the end (even on half that)

anyway...... a few cool pics to inspire you Laughing

'62 HERBIE, '55 LOLA, '00 SCARLET & '71 BERTIE

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
BigBertha
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Ooooo mama........
Thass nice.

Yeah I do like her natural ratty patina
I could easily spend my money on some sweet brakes ,electrics and a scmicko new engine, but fact is it belongs to my wife, belonged to her grandmother and when she was born, she was brought home from hospital in it, and it was the first car our kids ever rode in too.
So we all know how the ladies like shiny things, so shiny she is going to get.

I do want a good quality job
Thanks for your input,
Humpty
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Welcome back Pete.... Good to hear the settlement is finally sorted.... I remember that you were talking about converting the Bus to auto too.... That stuff I lined up for you a while back was recently sold to my brother.... Basically cause nobody else wanted it.... I have no clue what his plans are, but if your still thinking along those lines you might want to drop him a PM... Do a search for Choppa in the members directory....

As for the Bus resto/renno..... We need some more detailed images to give you any real advise.... Then of course the direction you go can vary the costs hugely....

Though the images look pretty good from here, what say we get some nice clear close-up shots of the undercarriage, especially the outriggers and floor (on top and underneath), the door jams (A pillars), the windscreen, the front apron behind the bumper and the underside, the sills (inner and outer) and finally the battery trays...

That'll do for a start.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Humpty
You have a good memory. Yes thanks for sourcing those parts, sorry I didn't take it any further. I've decided not to mess around with her to that extent. My wife will just have to drive, bummer...I'll hold the beer.

I'll try and get those shots up
I have a guy coming over in the morning who does custom restorations. He is a friend of a friend and comes recommended. hopefully he is trustworthy.
He will give me some idea as to the extent of the rust work.
I have no idea if he is expensive or reasonable, I will try and get his opinion on the possible cost before I tell him my budget.

I'm dead keen to get started after waiting for so long. Hopefully I will have some juicy progress pics in the near future.
would love to be ready for next years DOVW.
66brm
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Sep 2009 Posts: 1651 Location: Down the sou side now!!!
I would think that if you dropped $30k into that then you would easily get what you want, it should look and drive like new, without seeing the body in person I'm guessin the largest single expense will be body work and paint, followed by interior then driveline.

If Al was based over here then he would be the man I would direct you too

MODNROD wrote:
My dad had kittens......
BUK
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
hi pete

resto is a deep black hole. Shocked
be carefull of people that "think" or "rekon" about prices even "proffessionals " in the trade.
most of these mentioned peeps have never restored a bus or paid someone else to do it.
There are a few people on here that have had big restos done and or did them themselves even though 30k is a lot of money that money will run out pretty quick if you convert that into an hourly rate plus materials.
my bus has had way more than 1000 hours put into it a lot of which i did myself and a lot i paid "proffessionals" to do of which a lot had to be reworked because they just never dealt with a bus before and all bit off more than they could chew.

Al at das resto house was mentioned here before .
the pics yous see in the thread he put up are more than likely not to achieve with 30k.

I think bottom line is you have to find someone you can trust to do the right thing by you and set yourself a budget and stick to it.
unfortunatly the only person i can recomend is a painter but he will not do any body work he just paints and is usually booked out for 6 month in advance but hes pretty good at it Cool
i hope this is of some sort of help to you
cheers
steffen

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Something to consider if you can remove the emotional aspect from the equation...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/volkswagen-kombi%20transporter-1971-11598438?cr=87&distance=25&vertical=Car&eapi=2&Page=6&sort=~Year&__N=1216%201282%204294962746&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Sep 2009 Posts: 1651 Location: Down the sou side now!!!
An accountant could do it for that money

MODNROD wrote:
My dad had kittens......
BigBertha
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've found a guy that will take it on. In Mandurah, which is about as local as it gets for me. Local is a big factor for me, I am just unable to shop it around all over the city.
The guy is a friend of a friend and is well recommended. His specialty is restoring prewar MGs. He is just finishing up one that will be valued at 150 000.. so he seems like the real deal. He came up and had alook, he was surprised and pleased about the amount of rust that wasn't there. He had a really good attitude about what he does. he's made his money and is now doing full time what his passion is and that is restoration of old vehicles.

He takes on no more than two jobs at a time. I got a pretty good feeling from this guy. I didn't divulge my full budget, I'll keep some up my sleeve.

I dunno, the more I think about it the more I think I'm frikkin nuts.
If this was some crappy bus I'd bought on Ebay, there is no effin way I'd be spending any where near this kind of dough. The old girl is just so full of family history that selling it or letting it fall to pieces just isn't an option. and for me, if you're going to do a resto half arsed then you might as well not do it at all.

Am I right or am I nuts, or am I both.

She gets picked up this week.

Should have some picks up in a month or so.
Humpty
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Your right....

Look at this way..... You can blow 40k plus on a new Hyundai people mover and it will lose 5k just driving it off the showroom floor.... And it wont be nearly as much fun as the VW..... In a years time it will lose maybe another 5k.... In five years time, it will be a pile of expensive crap....

Your bus wont be any of that.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Your right and nuts ......Wink
Well arent we all diving into these projects.
Sounds like you found a capable person
Hope it all goes well and keep us updated
With lotsa pics.
And dont see it as money spend but rather money invested into german steel
Which is bound to go up in value....Wink
Cheers
Steffen

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Looking at the prices then really the bus if restored really nice is worth around 20k so if u spend 30 ur not too far out of pocket an u have a nice bus that u can tell a story about its history at runs an shows, next step after the resto should be auto and hand controls? Wouldnt be that hard
23split
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Restore your bus.
Personal connections and history cannot be brought. Memories created or rekindled by owning and driving an old VW is probably what motivates a lot of us to be here.
Money and time are always factors, but compare the costs of newish vehicles and it might give you some perspective.
Look forward to watching your resto take shape, and then catching you out on the road one day or at a show sometime.
Cheers
Wink