NoH2O Forum Index

<  You got some projects?  ~  1961 Karmann Bug Resto

neggy
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Hi, ive been meaning to start this build thread for a long time but been putting it off coz im not to good with computers. Its basically a 1961 beetle factory convertible that unfortunately was in a shed which was on fire so it is a major project for me. Ive restored a beetle before but never with this amount of work. Im hoping to do everything myself so it will be a good learning curve for me and hopefully inspire some of you guys to take a project on!!
Heres what ive started with, enjoy!!!

After getting the vehicle and scaring my missis to death with my so called bargain , i took pictures all over the car so i could remember roughly how it goes back and started tearing it down bit by bit.

You can see how much filler is on the car, starting to panic what lies beneath!

As you can see it soon became apparent that this is going to be a massive project and i soon realized im going to have to learn to weld as it needs both floor pans, both heater channels with the strengtheners underneath, rear quarters, door pillar repairs, the list goes on.
REUB
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Reuben'esque even! Joined: 27 May 2008 Posts: 247

Last edited by REUB on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Humpty
Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Good to see this project getting some 'press'!.... Is the car on a late pan, or just late suspension?

Looking forward to seeing how you've progressed since the start.... An amazing project for sure... Keep at it!

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes Humpty, as i did some more digging i found that it is a 1969 swing axle pan. Heres a few more pics of the body tear down.
[img]
After getting the car stripped down this far i realized how much space a stripped down car takes up. As i was going to be working in a small space i needed to have a work order so i decided i need to prioritize my jobs, so i decided to restore the chassis first. I wanted to get the body up in the air off the chassis so i could roll it out the garage to work on the chassis. Time to get the thinking cap on.[/img]
ozzyash
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Something a bit "warm" to squeeze into the engine bay sir? Wink Twisted Evil

'62 HERBIE, '55 LOLA, '00 SCARLET & '71 BERTIE

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
Humpty
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Staying with the late pan or going back to a king and link pin pan?

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
ozzyash wrote:

Shocked
Bugger me man, how "warm" do you want it to get?!?!?!?!
Laughing
BayDorm76
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
First off, how rare is an early vert! I bet your loving it. I would suggest 5 blokes for lifting that ol' girl off the chassis. 1 person for each corner and a spotter to watch clearances.
I am green with envy, that car is one sexy machine! No burn marks can take that away. I bet all that Crome around the windows will polish back to a shine. Holy shit, I am getting excited and its not my car.

Shocked
neggy
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments, i have been through my ups and downs with the resto, some days i hate it coz i find more shitty repairs but for the most i feel lucky to own it! Im going to stick with the late pan, as the car isnt original i dont feel guilty modding it. Id like to keep the body and interior standard but i dont know about the motor yet, long way off.
neggy
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Well this is what i came up with, its only rough but it does the job to get the body out the way while i concentrate on the pan. This was my first welding job i have done since completing a 9 week introduction to welding course. I did it with a stick welder that i borrowed.
[img]
Still got to make some frames for the door openings for when i remove the doors coz the heater channels are shot and theres no roof so it will just fold up.[/img]
ozzyash
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
MODNROD wrote:
ozzyash wrote:

Shocked
Bugger me man, how "warm" do you want it to get?!?!?!?!
Laughing

LOL!!

I went to see Neggy a while back, to buy a few bits off him and we had a long chat about the vert and the Heb replica he had then too Smile

'62 HERBIE, '55 LOLA, '00 SCARLET & '71 BERTIE

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
Humpty
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
neggy wrote:
Im going to stick with the late pan, as the car isnt original i dont feel guilty modding it. Id like to keep the body and interior standard but i dont know about the motor yet, long way off.

Fitting early wide 5 style brakes to a late pan is very possible.... The rear is a bolt on deal, but the front depends on what brakes you currently have.... If there are discs there, then a bolt on wide 5 rotor is available. If you have drums on there, a conversion kit is available for that too..... Or maybe a set of Porsche pattern brakes and fit some Fuchs/gas burners/et al..... Cool...... Wink

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Im going down the porsche brakes road and porsche wheels, still not settled on which wheels yet. I like the porsche twists but not sure on running a modern wheel but also like cosmics. Anyways heres some more pics with the frames for the doors in.[img]
Heres some of the chasis tear down.
[/img]
Down to a bare pan and drilling spotwelds ready for new floor pans.
neggy
Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Cleaned up the chassis with the wire wheel.
[img]

New floor pans prepared for going in.

[/img]
neggy
Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
More chassis build up shots. This is when ive realized i should have taken lots of pictures of in between stages, dam it.
[img]
Fitted the front porsche brakes. Ive gone with 944 turbo calipers and 944 discs up front.
[/img]