NoH2O Forum Index

<  You got some projects?  ~  56 double door splitty

57bus
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi there guys
I have got myself another VW. it was a bit of ebay purchase about a month ago and then i had it shipped over from melbourne. I didn't actually check it out before i brought it so it was abit of a gamble. But when i first seen it i was quite happy with it. It does need the lower 6 inches replaced like most of them, but besides that it is fairly solid.

[/img]

And the the plan is to make it a rat. so i will try and keep as much of the blue paint as i can.
It already has IRS fitted so i will probably keep that and i will be putting a 4 inch narrowed beam with dropped spindles.
I hope you guys ... Cheers Bill
Gaz
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks good mate, will be an awesome rat.....look forward to the build, are you doing it yourself?
BayDorm76
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Not gambling when there is a small window double door involved. More like living the dream! Nice one.
Humpty
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Otherwise known as Kojak... Joined: 28 May 2008 Posts: 11812 Location: Down Da So'Wessieed!
Way to go Bill.... You need to show the gang those awesome front seats! Cool

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I had a 58 dove blue panel once and it didn't have a factory fuel gage. Does this bus have a fuel gage?
BUK
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Cool score mate .
Yeah whats goong on with the seats ? Looks like po started with them before actually working on the bus itself.
Will make a very cool rat

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
I might leave the showing the seat till the final reveal.. it is something pretty original.
it does have a fuel guage. was it an optin not to have one?

Yeh, I am going to try and do as much of the work as i can myself. i'm just stripping everything down at the moment and making a trolley to move her around and roll her over to get the underside sandblasted.
more photos soon... cheers
BayDorm76
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Not sure, that was over 15yrs ago and my memory sucks. Will get back with you on that one. Embarassed
BUK
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Defo no fuel gauge on a 56

Hope i dont have to wait 10 years before the seat story gets revealed.....Wink

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Really? Aren't these gauges normally located under the speedo in the same cluster? Damn, I need one.

Hey Bill, I know of a 2litre donk that just got built with loads of goodies if you want? It's been converted from a type IV to a type I set up. It has an 1800 flywheel, so it can bolt up to your 1600 gear box. Would make this rat bitchin'!
57bus
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
hi guys time for another update..
I checked on the samba with the vin number and what i figured its a september 56 and Humpty told me that was the change over period for the years so maybe its more like 57, that would explain the fuel guage.

Any way this is where im at, I'm still stripping her down. i've taken all the doors of and the front floor out. I have made a trolley which i can roll her over onto her side(that is not in the photos) this will help when i take of the belly pans of and get the underside blasted.

p.s
baydorm please send me a pm about the motor(money/details) it could be what im after.

[img][/img]
57bus
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Time for another update everybody.

I have got her on the trolley which allows me to put her up on its side. This makes it so much easier to work on. And will also make it easier for the sandblaster to do his thing.
I removed the cargo sills before i rolled her over. The first thing that had to go once i got her up its side was the belly pans. After these came of i could really see how bad the rust was.... and it was about what i expected.. the usual stuff.. outriggers,jacking points,inner sill supports,front crossmember(half way out in the photo)
I still have a few more things to cut out before the blasting..

The lower dog legs will need replacing but i think i will leave these in there till after i get it blasted. Otherwise it might be to weak to still roll it over?
.... cheers guys

Gaz
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a flying start. Well done on the the trolley, that will make things way easier to get to for sure Cool
MID WEST DUBBER
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Oct 2013 Posts: 94 Location: Near Horsham, Victoria.
That is seriously cool Cool

Check out>>> www.vdubber.com
57bus
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Hi Guy,
Not a great deal to up date at the moment. I have been away on holidays . But the bus is at the sandblasters and I should have it back at the start of next week.

Just before I sent it away I noticed something shiny in a rust hole down near the A pillar.

And it turned out to be a cargo door handle!
[/img]

Which I thought was the missing handle from my Bus. Unfortunatly it doesn't match the one I got with my bus. But I guess one of them should be correct.

Anyway I'm doing some door repairs at the moment will post some pix soon.
Cheers Guys